Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert
Gellone Abbey
Dated
11th century
History
Gellone Abbey was founded in 804 by Guillaume (Guilhem), Count of Toulouse.
The main parts of the church, such as nave and side aisles were built between around 1050 and 1075.
The lower part of the cloister that formerly had two storeys was built in 11th century. In 12th and 13th century the upper part was added.
It was destroyed in 19th century and the columns and capitals of the upper part are nowadays in the museum "The Cloisters", New York.
Links